High fuel prices, a little help to cut the cost of motoring
Tuesday 8 May, 2012
With fuel prices going up and up drivers need to be looking for ways of keeping down the cost of motoring. Read below for our Top Tips for better fuel economy.
There are several other things you can do to help save fuel, here are our top tips.
1. Drive smoothly. Stop-start driving burns fuel. Watch the cars ahead and try to avoid heavy braking and sharp acceleration.
2. Stay in gear down hills. Ease of the accelerator. Don’t coast down hills as that actually uses more fuel.
3. Keep an eye on the rev counter. Change gears smoothly and try to change up through the gears as early as possible approximately 2000 revs. Drive in the right gear and at the correct speed for the road conditions.
4. Drive off as soon as your engine is running. Modern cars can drive just as well when cold as they can when hot. You do not need to waste fuel waiting for your engine to warm up.
5. Loose extra weight. Empty the boot and remove unused roof racks. You will use extra fuel moving any weight around that is sitting in the boot. Roof racks make your car use more fuel to push it through the air.
6. Don’t stand there idle. Switch off the engine if you are sitting still or stuck in traffic for more than a minute or two. Restarting the engine uses virtually no fuel. (Don’t allow the battery to go flat by leaving electrical consumers on, e.g. radio, heater and DVD players)
7. Plan your journey. Check the route for road works before leaving. If you are lost ask for directions. Use sat nav if you have it.
8. Take it easy. Drive easy you will arrive at your destination safer and more relaxed. Also take the first parking space you find rather than driving around for ages try to find a closer one!
9. Keep your car serviced and maintained. A well serviced and maintained car will use less fuel than a neglected car.
An essential part of motoring is servicing and maintenance, here at Russell Automotive Centre, London’s Leading Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda and Bentley Specialist our labour rates are approx 50% cheaper than a main dealer.
By having your car serviced or repaired at Russell Automotive Centre you have all the benefits of main dealer servicing but without the price tag.
For any further help or advice call Russell Automotive Centre, London’s Leading Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda and Bentley Specialist.
Book in your Audi, VW, Bentley, SEAT or Skoda using our form or call our team on 0208 2000 995.
Fleet Manager, Fleet Van Servicing Centre North London.
Whilst travelling to you you ordered the part, and an hour after my initial call my van was on the lift and a new starter-motor was being fitted. An hour later I was on my way back to work. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Not only did you go out of your way to keep us working, you did it at a very sensible price.